Featured Post

The Truth About the MSM

Journalists have always had their critics. Back in the days of typewriters and carbon paper complaints would arrive in the post, often scraw...

21 September 2011

Mission Statement

All institutions have them. Something impressive to put in reception, next to that plaque from Investors in Green Folders. An ethos in a soundbite. Philosophy at tweetable length. What's needed to start my first blog is a declaration of intent. A mission statement.

I've been a journalist all my adult life. I've been in love with radio since I can remember. For some reason I was usually the one in the radio station nominated to 'look after' the work experience kid, and that role has evolved over the years until I find myself as the world's least likely academic, required to give my charges the best possible start to their radio careers. And this is my first-ever blog.

So ...
  • I'll aim to follow Valerie Geller's advice to 'tell the truth, and never be boring'. 
  • I will seek to be a critical friend to those I comment on in radio and in journalism, never forgetting it's a much tougher world in the industry than out of it. 
  • I will be fearless in promoting the practical and the vocational over the theoretical and the abstract.

 I hope that'll do for a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment